And we’re back! Last week was a bit busy with traveling and work, but I’m back in action this week and I brought cake, forgive me?
I needed every excuse to use a new pan I received for my birthday and I knew chocolate cakes would be beyond perfect. Come now, I love a layer cake, but I don’t need that huge hunk o’ cake in my face all the time. I need a small morsel of goodness to itch that chocolate scratch, without being a layered mess of frosting and knock your socks off sugar sweetness. Using date paste (see recipe here!)has become my new favorite way to avoid butter in desserts and still add sweetness. I usually make a big batch and keep it on hand, or by having a few jars of Sunsweet Lighter Bake bumming around in the fridge for baking.
True story: I took these cakes to a food blogger potluck and several of the ladies said “There are vegan? I can’t tell!”. Mission Accomplished. I love when people are surprised something is vegan, I’ve done it right! Be sure to keep an eye on these as they bake up, baking too long could result in a drier cake, rather than a fudgy, dense cake. The chocolate batter can be spread into muffin tins, cupcakes, layer cake, get down with yourself!
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1⅔ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup date paste
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup banana, mashed thoroughly (no lumps)
- ¾ cup water
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- Chocolate Glaze:
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease muffin pan and set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (alternatively, can use a hand mixer), combine almond meal, all purpose flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder. Mix until combined.
- Add date paste, maple syrup, banana, water, and almond milk. Mix until all dry ingredients and combined with wet ingredients, avoid over mixing.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes, checking halfway through baking time.
- Allow cakes to cool before removing from pan.
- For the chocolate glaze:
- Combine chocolate chips and almond milk in microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir and microwave for an additional 15 seconds, until melted.
- When cakes are cooled, pour chocolate glaze over cakes. Garnish with chopped almonds and shredded coconut.