Remember that homemade vegan lemon curd we made last week? As much as I loved eating it on toast and straight off the spoon, I was ready to turn it into something else, like waffles! I’ve been stuck in a breakfast rut lately (granola and toast, everyday for the past week), so upping my breakfast game with waffles seemed like a perfect solution. Add sliced almonds for crunch and pretty raspberries for a little more sweetness and I think I’ve found the ideal summertime waffle.
Honestly, I didn’t think a waffle iron was necessary for the longest time. Aren’t waffles just like pancakes, but with nooks and crannies? NOPE. They are so much better. All those pockets and crannies are perfect places to hold a smear of salty butter or a little pool of real deal maple syrup (my family buys ours by the giant gallons in Northern WI, since we go through it like crazy), something pancakes just can’t compete with. So, if you are a doubter and think a waffle iron isn’t totally necessary to add to your kitchen tools, just back that thought up and get yourself an iron. You won’t regret it.
In the words of the honorable Leslie Knope ‘We need to remember what’s important in life: friends, waffles, work.’ Enjoy your Tuesday friends!
- 1¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1⅓ cups almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- ⅓ cup raspberries
- ⅓ cup vegan lemon curd
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat waffle iron and spray with non stick spray, set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond milk, apple cider vinegar, agave nectar, sugar, olive oil, and extracts. Set aside. In a large bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, baking powder, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Whisk the liquid ingredients in with the dry until well combined.Whisk in the lemon curd, raspberries and sliced almonds. Prepare in waffle iron according to directions, cooking for 7-9 minutes, depending on the waffle iron.