Vegan Bananas Foster Donuts are glazed with caramel and have a sweet hint of boozy bananas. Perfect for a fancy brunch or a sweet dessert.
Let’s say we have have a lovely dinner party. The kind where you bring me a cute bottle of wine and I bring out my fancy mismatched plates. We’ll talk Real Housewives, eat loads of carbs, and commiserate that the weekend isn’t long enough for all the TV watching and relaxing we need to do.
At the end of the meal I won’t even ask if you want a cocktail or dessert, I’ll just hand you these donuts and it will do the job for both (although if you want to mix yourself a cocktail too, I’ll be mixing right with you). These Vegan Bananas Foster Donuts aren’t really the “pluck out of a box on a long-awaited Friday at work” kind of gems, but more of a “fork and real plate and dining room table” situation.
My high school friends and I used to host dinner parties every month, rotating houses and dinners (maybe some were themed, I know, I was one of the cool kids). Taking the chance to show each other how we could pull off hostess duties while also doing calculus homework. Even though my 17 year old self didn’t have access to rum, I think my dinner party mates would have enjoyed these caramel soaked cakes of sticky sweet goodness.
A solid powdered sugar and almond milk frosting would work well with these Vegan Bananas Foster Donuts, but I think the caramel glaze soaking takes these to a new level of greatness. Pecans also just happened to be my nut of choice, but feel free to use what you have on hand. Rum also is optional, but it wouldn’t really bananas foster without it, right?! Also, ice cream, go ahead and add that on top please.
Have a great weekend friends!
Caramel Glazed Bananas Foster Donuts
For the donuts:
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance
- 1/2 cup almond milk, divided into 2 1/4 cup portions
- 2/3 cup finely mashed banana
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons rum
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease donut pan, set aside.
2. In stand mixer or by hand, combine all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Add Earth Balance, mashed banana, 1/4 cup almond milk, vanilla, mashed banana, and rum until throughly combined. If batter is too thick, add additional 1/4 cup almond milk.
3. Spoon into prepared donut pan, using about 3 tablespoons per donut. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until tookthpick inserted in donut comes out clean.
4. While donuts are baking, prepare glaze. Place Earth Balance and brown sugar in saucepan over medium heat, whisking to combine while EB melts. Continue whisking until thoroughly melted and combined, about 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat, add vanilla and almond milk.
5. Place baked donuts in shallow pan, pour glaze over donuts and top with roughly chopped pecans. Serve warm (with ice cream?)You may also like