Coming back from a break around the holidays is probably the hardest ‘getting back into the swing of things’ transition, right? I meant to take just a week off from the blog, but ended up finding that I needed another week and a little more time to just chill for a while before hopping right back in. The good news is that my break gave me plenty of time to recipe test and dream up everything I’ll be baking over the next few months! The bad (or more good news) news is that you are going to become downright addicted to these chocolate almond vegan granola bars, just like I am.
I’ve always struggled with finding the perfect granola bar. I can bake a cake or cookie, like nobody’s business but the perfect vegan granola bars still proved to be a struggle. I wanted a perfect combination of easy, no bake, and ready to throw together. I don’t usually have a ton of nuts and dried fruits on hand in my pantry, so I wanted something I usually have (chocolate, always) and packs a little protein punch (almonds, FTW). I also didn’t want them to be overly sweet or complicated, so I think the short seven ingredient list hits the nail right on the head. I will say these require some chill time, but honestly, it was super easy to make these, freeze for a few hours and then cut them up before diving them into a bag. I really needed something that was going to break my chips and salsa every day after work addiction, and these chocolate almond vegan granola bars did just the trick!
If you don’t love or have cashew butter on hand, feel free to use almond or peanut butter instead! I happened to have a bunch of cashews at home (for making copious amounts of this dreamy dip) and made a batch of cashew butter before mixing up these bars. I also think any other nut would be great in these, it’s mainly the base recipe that is the main winner here! I used a combo of Cookie and Kate’s granola bar recipe and The Faux Martha’s baking wisdom to create these perfect vegan granola bars. If there’s one thing I’m sure of, it’s that nut butter is the key to holding together a good granola bar and maple syrup is the elixir that is the perfect sweetener for a snack like these.
One last word of advice on making these vegan granola bars! Make sure when you are pressing them into the pan you really press them in! I’ve had batches of granola bars fall apart due to not pressing them firmly enough, and that’s a problem that can easily be fixed. Sometimes, I take a drinking glass and make sure all the bars are pressed in with the bottom of the glass before freezing.
Quick and easy chocolate almond vegan granola bars, perfect for snacking or dessert! Vegan and can be made gluten-free.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup cashew butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate, chopped
- Line an 8×8 square pan with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper and set aside pan.
- In a blender or food processor fitted with a blade, place 1/2 cup of the rolled oats in the bowl and blend until finely ground to almost a flour-like consistency.
- Place the ground oats in a large bowl, add the remaining rolled oats, cashew butter, maple syrup, salt, and vanilla extract. Mix until fully incorporated and all oats are covered in the cashew butter/maple syrup mixture.
- Fold in the chopped almonds and chocolate, incorporating throughout. Press the mixture into the prepared square pan until mixture is evenly distributed.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours, or until firm. Cut into squares and serve immediatley, storing any leftovers in the freezer.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 360
- Sugar: 10
- Sodium: 2
- Fat: 23
- Carbohydrates: 34
- Protein: 8