This post is sponsored by Zevia. Thank you for supporting the brands that make this space possible!
At this point, it seems like I have a muffin recipe for each and every season. From a cranberry version to a version that incorporates the best apples in the the fall, so why stop now with this almond muffin recipe? I am ready for spring to get here already, but really, I will miss the citrus that the winter season brings. Lemons will always be forever a favorite, but grapefruit and orange will keep being something that I wish could stay in season all year long.
Since we are just on the cusp of spring making an appearance, I combined my favorite citrus of the season, grapefruit and lemon into a perfectly fluffy almond muffin recipe. One of the best things about this recipe is that they come together super quickly and I almost always have everything on hand to whip up a batch, win win! I do have to say that muffins have been one of the hardest baked goods to nail down, so I’m super happy with the base recipe that came out of these muffins. Fluffy, perfectly tender and all around just the right amount of sweet, so they are like a dessert..but still breakfast. I personally think a good smear of lemon curd would be perfect on these, since they already have a hint of lemon and what couldn’t benefit from a little more lemon curd?
I realized that I have another lemon recipe coming later this week, so sorry (but not sorry) for the citrus overload! The recipe for Thursday got rave reviews at work, so I’m pretty proud that it was a crowd pleaser all around. Happy Tuesday! Hope you have a lovely mid-week.
A sweet and light version of the perfect vegan muffin, citrus almond muffins with a crunchy topping of sliced almonds!
- For the flax egg:
- – 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- – 3 tablespoons warm water
- – For the muffins:
- – 2 cups all purpose flour
- – 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- – ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- – ½ teaspoon salt
- – ⅓ cup coconut oil (affiliate link)
- – 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- – 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- – 1/2 cup Grapefruit Zevia
- – Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- – ½ cup almond milk
- – 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Mix together the ground flax seed and water and set aside. This will form your ‘flax egg’ and gel up while you prepare the other ingredients.
- – Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line and grease a muffin tin and set aside.
- – In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- – In a large bowl, beat together with a hand mixer the coconut oil (affiliate link), granulated sugar, vanilla, flax egg, Grapefruit Zevia and milk. Beat until combined and creamy. The batter with be a bit runny, but we still have to add the flour mixture, so it’s ok!
- – Gradually add in the flour mixture in three parts until batter starts to come together and no flour streaks remain.
- – Scoop muffin batter into the tins with a ¼ cup scoop, making sure the batter comes just about ⅔ of the way up the cups. Top each with the extra sliced almonds. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly touched.