I wasn’t really sure if we had bypassed hot chocolate season, or if it still felt like an all around winter drink. I feel like hot chocolate goes all gang busters around Christmas, but then it gets neglected right away after all the lights and decorations are long gone. Me? I’ll drink hot chocolate anytime during the cooler months, especially if it isn’t the powdered stuff. Honestly, I used to LOVE the hot chocolate with the tiny marshmallows in the package. We didn’t get it all the time, but when we did, it was the hot chocolate I always made a beeline for. Not only are you drinking a mug of piping hot melted chocolate (ok chocolate powder thing), but there were also a mess of cute little marshmallows floating around and getting all melty at the same time. Who can beat that?
Now that I know how easy it is make homemade hot chocolate, I will abandon the package stuff for the cup of real deal chocolate anyday! Ever since I got this baby, which is now my favorite kitchen appliance, I can’t stop finding recipes to use it for, including this hot chocolate. If you don’t have a Vitamix, this is just as easy to make on the stovetop and takes just as long. My favorite vegan chocolate to use in this recipe is the big bar of dark chocolate from Trader Joe’s, which ends up being pretty good quality and fairly cheap (although we burn through them like nobody’s business around here). Since I made mine in the blender I added a handful of shredded coconut to the hot chocolate itself, but feel free to leave that out if you are cooking on the stovetop. Also, word to the wise, this is just as good piping hot and after it’s chilled in the freezer for a bit, so either way, this dessert-y drink is perfect!Print
Creamy coconut milk makes this version of vegan hot chocolate even better than a package mix!
- 1 1/2 cups light coconut milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate (I’ve made it both ways)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (for garnish)
- To make on the stovetop: Combine all the ingredients, except for the shredded coconut, and cook on medium heat until chocolate pieces are completely melted. Pour into mugs and garnish with shredded coconut.
- To make in a high-powered blender: Combine all ingredients, except for the shredded coconut and blend on high until hot and mixture is completely blended. Garnish with shredded coconut.