A few weeks ago we had Friday night dinner at a new-ish pub around the corner from our house, since AJ wanted a Friday night fish fry and the brewery with the famous fish fry across the river was just a little too busy for our plans (90 min. wait, yikes!), the English pub we went to was a perfect compromise. When we ordered drinks, I stuck with my favorite (Grapefruit Radler) and AJ ordered something called a Black Banana. After I was all ‘Wait WHAT did you order?!’ and he told me it was Guinness and Banana Bread beer, all I could think about was making a stout banana bread, stat.
I actually made two rounds of this bread, first opting for a loaf without chocolate, heavy on the beer flavor and the next loaf (this one), lighter on the stout and heavy on the chocolate. AJ thought this one had a little too much going on in it and preferred the first batch, but when we had friends over for a cookout over the weekend, the chocolate studded batch was met with nods of agreement and approval, so both were winners. I used Guinness Extra Stout for my banana bread, (from what I’ve read it’s vegan), but use your favorite stout beer here, depending on your preference. I can also vouch that frozen/thawed bananas work perfectly fine in this, because that’s what I did for both batches and they turned out great. Between the crunchy edges and top, melted chocolate, and sweet roasted bananas, thick slices are not optional.
I think this would make amazing french toast, especially if you plop a dollop of coconut whipped cream on there and call it a perfect brunch. If you make that, will you invite me over please? I’l bring mimosa fixings and solid Pandora station recommendations (Bruno Mars and Earth, Wind, & Fire are my current favs). Happy Wednesday friends!
Vegan banana bread gets a boozy spin and studded with dark chocolate!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (affiliate link)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 ripe bananas
- 3./4 cup stout beer
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the bananas and brown sugar. When mixture is smooth, beat on low and add the beer, apple cider vinegar, almond milk, and vanilla. Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and dark chocolate. Only beat until no flour streaks remain, try not to over beat the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the top is browned and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.