It’s here, Friday once again! I know it seems like every week Friday is the end goal, the day we all wait for, but I can’t think of anything better than anticipating the weekend, especially one that involves best friends visiting and a prediction of beautiful lakefront weather. Just so many lovely things in one time and space, life is great. Since my guests are flying to come to the Brew City, I am obviously repaying them with beer, hugs, and peanut butter trail mix treats! Among those in the works is this trail mix. My lovelies and I are running a race on Saturday and need to carb up (oh darn, only if you make me). Nuts are perfect for sustaining all that 5K energy and chocolate is just always necessary.
By the way, don’t put the raisins in with the nuts when they are roasting in the oven. For some reason, I decided to throw them in for one go around and they came out like a nice leathery nugget. Gross. Just don’t think about it. My favorite part of this crunchy mix was the chocolate and peanut butter coating every morsel of goodness. I know you are like me and pick out the good chocolate pieces in a peanut butter trail mix and leave the rest to shrivel up to live a lonely, uneaten life in the bowels of the snack bag. Seriously, who is eating those pretzels first? This is also a great cleaning out the cabinets snack too, especially if you are using up odds and ends of nuts and snacks.
It’s almost the weekend, live it!
p.s. The folks over at The Kitchn featured my popsicle recipe, if you want to take a look here!
- 2 cups mixed nuts (I used cashews (affiliate link) and walnuts, whole)
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- Optional: Pretzels (Chex-like cereal, dried fruits, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Spread mixed nuts on baking sheet, drizzle with vanilla. Roast in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.
- While nuts are roasting, melt peanut butter and 1 tablespoon of the vegan butter in the microwave for 30-45 seconds, or until smooth and melted. Melt chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon vegan butter in the microwave for 30-45 seconds, keeping a close eye to ensure they do not burn.
- When nuts are roasted, mix in raisins, cranberries and other optional mix ins. Drizzle both chocolate and peanut butter over the mix, mixing in throughly. Let cool and store in airtight container for up to 3 days.