Crisp or crumble? I have always been a crisp girl myself, but now that I’ve been playing around with crumbles, I know that the combo of toasty oats and crunchy brown sugar just kind of do it for me. I also love fruit this time of year (dear strawberries, I can’t wait until you are at the peak of ripeness!) and baking it in a bath of sweet sugar brings out all the roasted caramel-y notes that just make fruit that much better. The best thing about this pear crumble is that it can double as either a dessert or a warm breakfast, especially if you toss in a few extra handfuls of oats and reduce the sugar a bit. Any fruit can be subbed in for the pears, but the firmness of the pears makes for ideal crisp-making and they get really tender and juicy after a bake in the oven. Obviously, plop a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, because you gotta live your life!
I have friends visiting this weekend, so if you want to follow along join me over on Instagram! Expect lots of pictures of beer, waffles, and bear hugs.Print
Sweet, juicy pears are the perfect compliment to sweet brown sugar and a bit of ginger in this vegan pear crumble.
- 1 pear (sliced into 1/2 inch slices)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (affiliate link) (solid)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 4 small ramekins and set aside.
- To make the filling: In a medium bowl, mix together the sliced pear, ginger, 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and the 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour. Stir together until combined. Divide the mixture evenly between the 4 ramekins.
- To make the topping: Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour, rolled oats and coconut oil (affiliate link). Divide evenly between the ramekins. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and filling is bubbly.