Remember back when we used pizza dough as a hack to make cinnamon rolls easier? Well, we are at it again! This time, I made a little more of an indulgent version of cinnamon rolls, complete with dark chocolate chips, toasted pecans and sweetened with a healthy dose of caramelized maple syrup. This version of vegan cinnamon rolls is definitely on the ‘for the holidays’ or indulgent side of the spectrum, because they aren’t as healthy as my banana sweetened ones, but really, when you are planning for holiday brunches, who votes for chocolate cinnamon rolls or regular? ME! You can feel free to pick up some pre-prepared pizza dough at your favorite grocery store, but I happened to have a batch of dough chilling in the fridge, so this was super fast and easy for me to put together. I made these as a brunch dish for a blogger potluck, so I knew I had to bring my A game, all the way.
The key to not having these turn into a soupy, messy disaster is to back off the amount of maple syrup you use in the filling (I found out the hard way, maple syrup everyyyywhere on the counter!) and let them bake for a little longer than you think they may need to. The first time around, I took mine out too early and the dough on the bottom of the rolls was still soggy. But, after sticking them in for a little bit longer, they came out perfect and with a lovely caramel maple crust on the bottom, yes and yes. Feel free to sub in your favorite nuts for the pecans, but I felt like using pecans lent more of a Christmas-y vibe to them. These are also perfect for filling and freezing, then baking when you need them, just let them thaw out before you bake!
- 1 batch prepared pizza dough (my recipe said it is enough to make 2 pizzas)
- For the dough: Stir together 1 teaspoon agave nectar or sugar, 1½ teaspoons active yeast, 1¼ cups warm water and 3½ cups flour. Stir together, knead for 2-3 minutes and let rise for 1-2 hours)
- For the filling:
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cup chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate, but feel free to use semi-sweet)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- For the topping:
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a pie pan or cake pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the filling and in a separate small bowl, combine the ingredients for the topping. Set both aside.
- Flour your surface liberally and roll out prepared pizza dough to a rectangle that is 14 inches by 6 inches. Spread your already mixed filling evenly over the rolled out dough, stopping just an inch or so short of the edges of the rectangle. Roll up the rectangle lengthwise and cut into 2 inch pieces. Place each piece on its end in the pie plate until they have all been cute. Pour the topping mixture over the rolls and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until topping is bubbling up around the edges of the pan. Let cool for about 15 minutes and serve!