I am a big fan of the impromptu get together, it just seems to take away a lot of the stress of planning, worrying and puts a little extra fun into what would probably have been a pretty normal, unplanned day. We made last minute plans last weekend to go over to a friend’s house to watch football and eat pizza, which meant I obviously needed to think up a dessert to take. I knew I wanted to narrow it down to brownies or cookies, we would be walking so easy portability was necessary! I usually have something on hand from the blog or just hanging out around the house, but for once, I didn’t and I wasn’t really in the mood to do recipe testing for something I needed on short notice. After turning to Pinterest to look up some of the cookie recipes I saved, Adrianna’s brookies caught my eye and I knew they would be the vegan brownie cookies recipe to make, done and done. Shout out to Adrianna’s mad recipe/photography/awesomeness skills, she’s the bomb diggity.
I had to do a little tinkering to get these to be vegan, but once I did they were just right for satisfying that brownie/cookie craving. I highly recommend using the flax eggs, especially since the one time I tried to use the apple cider vinegar/baking soda substitution, it didn’t really go well (meaning they were kinda ugly and blobby looking). Also, do NOT be tempted to let these bake ‘just a few minutes longer’ (famous last words). I made this same mistake and it made them get really runny and totally not cookie like, so don’t be like me and do that.
I have to credit our friend Ashley for coming up the idea to add a bit of spice, which she suggested after eating a very spicy jalapeno popper dip, then immediately eating one of these cookies. I wouldn’t have thought of adding a Mexican chocolate element to them, but as soon as she said it completely made sense and I knew I had to try it out. Ashley and her husband are good friends of ours (also, they love cookies, so win win) and I think I owe them a few of these cookies after her brilliant suggestion. Happy weekend + eat lots of chocolate!Print
Brownie meets cookie meets a tiny bit of spice!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (affiliate link)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons flax egg
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (affiliate link)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Tiny pinch of cayenne pepper (like really tiny!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small, microwave safe bowl, combine and chocolate chips and coconut oil (affiliate link) and melt in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, until chocolate is melted, stir until completely melted. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients plus the melted chocolate mixture and mix with a hand mixer or stand mixer on medium, until dough comes together. The dough will be more of a batter/thick dough. Using a small cookie dough scoop, drop 2 teaspoon of dough per cookie onto the lined cookie sheets, about 8 cookies per sheet.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes and remove from oven. Do NOT let them overbake, they will become runny. Remove from oven and let cool before removing from the cookie sheet.