Whew, we made it, right?! If you’re like me, you’re on the “holiday hangover”. It was great/awesome/wonderful/tiring, but man, those long weekends are exhausting, no? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining, but holiday mode gets me into I-don’t-want-to-do-anything mode and I’m ready to delve into the year already. Kickstarting this getting it done business is this tower of delicious breakfast sweetness.
One of my favorite things is cooking up meals that look fancy, but aren’t super duper crazy hard to do. Not one of my favorite things (usually)..vegan french toast. But, hold those horses, I’m bonkers in love with this crunchy, creamy version of french toast.
Let’s break this thing down, shall we? The creme lends the creamy texture to cashews and the flavor to the amaretto (oh, you want to make your own? Here you go!). The list of ingredients for the french toast is a tad longer than normal, but the whoa-factor of the flavors are worth it.
This vegan french toast is best made as you are going to eat it, the fresher and crunchier the better. This is good for breakfast, brunch, lunch, snack, dessert, whatever you get down with! Honestly, you could mix this up and make it during the week, but it’s best enjoyed on a weekend with a steamy cup of coffee and curled up under a warm blanket with a kitty on the side.
The absolute best bread used for this is a fresh and authentic, allowing the heartiness of a baguette to stand up to the heavy batter. But really, use any substantial bread you have on hand, slathering it in this crazy good batter is just going to times the delicious by about a thousand. The recipe suggests cinnamon raisin bread as an option as well, which would just be crazy (delicious) talk. Long story short, if you aren’t a french toast lover, at least try this, it will make a believer out of you. Booze + Creme+ Carbs= breakfast whoa!
Amaretto Creme French Toast
1 cup raw cashews, soaked for a few hours
1 can coconut milk (12 oz.)
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup amaretto liquor
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup agave
pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cups vanilla almond milk
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt
8-10 slices baguette or whole grain bread
3 tablespoons Earth Balance
1. To prepare amaretto creme, blend all ingredients until smooth.
2. To prepare french toast, whisk together peanut butter, almond milk, flour, nutritional yeast, cinnamon, maple syrup, nutmeg, vanilla, and salt. Set aside.
3. Dip slices of bread in french toast batter, letting each slice sit in the batter for a minute.
4. Add Earth Balance to grill pan or flat pan on medium heat. Once EB is melted, add the french toast. There will be a lot of extra batter, but this is what makes the outside crunchy delicious.
5. Cook bread over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until crispy.
6. To serve, drizzle slices with amaretto creme and top with choice of nuts and fruit.
adapted from Crazy Sexy Kitchen