Let me tell you, taking pictures of a hot cocktail is not easy. I mean, how do you know I didn’t just plop that apple cider up there into a mug and say it was part of a warm boozy drink? I’ll tell you how, because I drank it right after, duh! But really, this one was a bit harder just because it’s like “Oh there is cider in a cup..with some stuff”. I knew I couldn’t just give you that and be all “Here you go Thursday!”, so I kicked it up with caramel+brown sugar spoons, yesss!
This cocktail is a bit of a variation on my favorite one from Shutterbean. As soon as the cooler weather hit I was thinking about this steamy cup of goodness. Also, Trader Joe’s has a darn good apple cider that is perfect for this boozy cup o’ awesome, just saying. Stirring a bit of my favorite date caramel sauce adds a nice touch of sweetness to it while still keeping the flavor from being desserty sweet (I hope that made sense to someone outside of myself). Freezing the date caramel on the spoons isn’t essential, but it adds a nice element to the drink. Personally, I could just pour it in and call it a day, but maybe this is a little more fun!
- For the hot toddy:
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 oz . rum
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- For the caramel spoons:
- 1/4 cup date caramel (6 dates pureed with 1/3 cup milk and pinch of salt)
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
- To make the cocktail:
- Combine all ingredients into 2 mugs, microwave for 2 minutes or until hot.
- For the spoons:
- Dip spoons into the date caramel, laying into a pan or shallow dish. Sprinkle with brown sugar and freeze for at least 4 hours. Stir into hot, prepared cocktails.