Hiya, Monday! How was your weekend? I know some people had a long weekend, some people got snow right before the weekend (hi, that’s me!) and others were all into the Easter baking. We don’t really do much for Easter in my family. Since I’m an only child we just kind of prefer to hang out and drink lots of coffee on Sunday morning while watching way too much HGTV.
I did get around to doing a bit of baking while I was visiting my parents, especially since it’s always a special request that I bake something while I’m at their house, I decided to try out this vegan baked french toast casserole on them during my visit. The casserole turned out just the way I pictured it in my head, all crunchy on the top and moist on the bottom, with tender apples baked in and lots of cinnamon on top.
Tips for making vegan french toast casserole
I do specify in the recipe to use multigrain sourdough bread, and it’s primarily because that prevents the bottom parts from being all soggy and sad looking, while the top parts are the more preferred crunchy texture. If you like soggy bread, by all means go ahead and use a lighter loaf for this baked french toast casserole, but if you are like me and mom and don’t like your bread to be wet, go ahead and spring for the denser bread (I got mine at Trader Joe’s).
You can also swap out apples for whatever firm fruit you might have too. Pears would be lovely and I think bananas might even fit in perfectly here too. Also, if you haven’t tried chickpea flour as a thickener yet, do it! It creates the smoothest sauces, gravies, etc. and I’ve never had a problem with it clumping, so I count that as worth the price of a bag of chickpea flour in my book.
Happy Monday, friends. Enjoy it! I have a jar of strawberry-infused vodka waiting in my fridge to be used in some sort of cocktail, so keep an eye out for that soon. xo
More vegan breakfast recipes on Heart of a Baker:
- Baked Cinnamon Raisin French Toast Cups
- Brown Sugar and Pecan Vegan Sticky Buns
- How to Make the Fluffiest Easy Vegan Pancakes
- Maple, Pecan, and Dark Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls
- Olive Oil Vegan Biscuits
- 3-4 slices multi grain sourdough bread (cubed)
- 1 apple (chopped)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Grease an 8×8 or 9×9 square pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond milk, chickpea flour, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- Place the cubed bread in the prepared pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle the chopped apples over the bread and pour the almond milk mixture over the top.
- Bake french toast for 20-25 minutes, until top is golden and crunchy.
Keywords: baked french toast casserole, vegan french toast casserole