Spiced apples and a sweet coconut cream vegan frosting are the perfect components to this apple spice cake. It’s the ultimate fall cake!
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed (combined with 3 tablespoons warm water)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 peeled and diced apples (I used Macintosh)
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts (I used a mixture of pecans, almonds and hazelnuts)
For the frosting:
- 2 small cans coconut cream (5.4 oz. each, refrigerated overnight)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- First, make sure you have placed your cans of coconut cream in the fridge for at least 4 hours, ideally overnight. This will ensure that the coconut cream gets solid before whipping it into the frosting.
- To make the cake: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a single 8-inch round cake pan and set aside. Make sure your ground flax seed is combined with the water and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, granulated sugar, ground flax seed ‘egg’, almond milk and vinegar. Whisk until thoroughly combined. Add in the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Fold in the diced apples and nuts with a spatula. Don’t overmix the batter, or it will be tough!
- Spread the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake fore 35-40 minutes, until a knife inserted in the middles comes out clean. Allow to cool before frosting.
- To make the frosting: In a large bowl, place the coconut cream (just the solid part, make sure you drain off any liquid!), powdered sugar, and vanilla together. Beat until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Store in fridge until ready to be used to frost the cake.
- Store the frosted cake, covered in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Keywords: apple spice cake, vegan apple cake