Vegan chocolate chip cookies get stuffed with a date vegan caramel center and plenty of chocolate. Ready in under an hour and easy as pie!
For the caramel:
For the chocolate chip cookies:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (or if it’s hot outside, your coconut oil is probably pre-melted for you, melted)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1 flax ‘egg’ (1 tbs. ground flax seed combined with 3 tablespoons water)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 360ºF. Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper or Silpat and set aside.
- To make the caramel: In a blender, combine the dates, milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a small dish and place in the freezer while preparing the cookie dough.
- To make the chocolate chip cookies: In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted coconut oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract, milk and flax egg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the coconut oil mixture until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the cookie dough out in 2-3 tablespoon balls, roll into balls, then flatten down into a small disc, spacing each about an inch apart. Remove the caramel mixture from the fridge and place a dollop of caramel into the center of each disc. Wrap cookie dough around the caramel center, squeeze together and place cookie onto the cookie sheet with the seam down (where you pinched together the dough).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown.
If you want the caramel center to be easier to handle, freeze for a couple of hours and cut into chunks, then place in cookie dough discs.
Keywords: vegan chocolate chip cookies