Are you someone who can power through the afternoon slump, or do you need a pick me up? For me, my slump comes around 1:30pm-2:00pm, a couple hours after I eat lunch (I eat lunch early, since I get into the office early) and when it seems like the time to leave the office just is too far away. This slump can usually me fixed with a walk around the office or a few snacks, but some days, a truffle is just what I need to get through the rest of the day. I know I’ve been hitting the espresso powder hard the past few weeks around here, but I bought a jar of it a year or so ago for a recipe and have been trying to use it up in chocolate espresso truffles ever since.
Obviously, chocolate is always a good answer to any problem, but adding espresso just gives it a little extra boost to get through the rest of the day. These truffles do take a bit of cooking/cooling/etc., but they are well worth the wait! Happy weekend! (p.s. All pictures were taken with my Iphone with VSCO cam app)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 3 tablespoons espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- pinch of fine grain sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine almond milk, espresso powder, granulated sugar and chocolate chips. Stir gently until mixture has melted and is warm. Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the vanilla extract and sea salt. Allow mixture to cool to room temperature and place in refrigerator until mixture has become solid. When mixture is solid, scoop into small balls and roll into a truffle shape, placing on a cookie sheet when complete. When all mixture has been formed into truffles, dust with cocoa powder and freeze until firm.