Vegan pecan pie is great, but make it one step better with chocolate! A perfect Thanksgiving or holiday dessert and made with an easy coconut oil crust.
- 1 batch vegan pie crust (Prepared to the point of freezing the pie dough)
- 3/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 ounces dark chocolate (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Make sure a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment is ready.
In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the coconut oil and granulated sugar, whisking until coconut oil has melted. Transfer the mixture to the mixer and add half of the chocolate chips and half of the dark chocolate. Mix on low until chocolate has melted.
- Add the vanilla, ground flaxseed, water, cocoa powder, maple syrup, and salt. Mix on medium until combined and the mixture is smooth.
- After the mixture is smooth, remove the bowl from the mixer and set aside.
- Spread the remaining semisweet, dark chocolate, and pecan halves over the prepared pie crust. Pour the filling over the pecans and chocolate, until the pie crust has been mostly filled. Don’t fill the pie too much, leave 1/4 inch of the crust exposed to prevent overfilling.
- Bake for 1 hour on the middle rack of the preheated oven. After an hour, reduce heat to 300ºF and bake for an additional 45 minutes.
- After pie is done baking, allow to cool at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Note that the prep time for this recipe is so long because of all the chilling required for this pie. The actual hands on prep work takes maybe 30 minutes!
Keywords: vegan pecan pie, chocolate pecan pie