The fluffiest and SOFTEST citrus poppy seed vegan sugar cookies! These are just tart enough, the softest vegan sugar cookie, and rolled in sugar, hello gorgeous!
- 2 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, solid
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup additional granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, poppy seeds, baking soda, and salt.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the coconut oil, sugar and zest on medium speed until well combined. Add in the olive oil, ground flaxseed, water, and lemon juice. Continue mixing until pale and evenly combined, about 1 minute, scraping down the sides every so often.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed ingredients, mixing on low speed until just combined. The dough will be dense.
- Using a 4 tablespoon sized spring scoop (2 ounces), scoop out the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. I used my digital scale to get each to be about 2 oz. Roll or liberally sprinkle each cookie in the granulated sugar.
- Bake for 12 to 13 minutes. The cookies won’t seem done, but take them out before they start to brown. Let cool on the pan for 1 minute before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely, about 20 minutes. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- You can replace half of the lemon zest with orange zest, or go full lemon zest.
- If you don’t have a 4 tablespoon cookie scoop, use a digital scale to portion out 2-ounce scoops of dough.
- I highly recommend rolling the cookies in the granulated sugar vs. sprinkling them. It makes for a much cleaner end result!
- I know it’s going to feel weird taking these out without them getting golden brown, trust me, they will be delicious. Don’t overbake them or they will become dry.
Keywords: cookies, poppyseeds, lemon