Tart cranberries and vegan lemon poppyseed muffins, make for a perfect breakfast just in time for the holidays! (Vegan)
- For the flax egg:
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- For the muffins:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- For the topping:
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- Mix together the ground flax seed and water and set aside. This will form your ‘flax egg’ and gel up while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line and grease a muffin tin and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together with a hand mixer the coconut oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, flax egg, juice and zest of lemons and milk. Beat until combined and creamy. The batter with be a bit runny, but we still have to add the flour mixture, so it’s ok!
- Gradually add in the flour mixture in three parts until batter starts to come together and no flour streaks remain. Fold in the poppy seeds and cranberries until just incorporated. Set aside and prepare the topping.
- To make the topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and coconut oil together with your hands, breaking up the coconut oil until small pieces are made and it takes on a streusel texture.
- Scoop muffin batter into the tins with a 1/4 cup scoop, making sure the batter comes just about 2/3 of the way up the cups. Top each with the streusel topping (I used about 1 tablespoon per muffin). Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly touched.