Here we are, the week leading up to Christmas! Depending on your stress level, it could be your favorite or least favorite week of the year, but vegan chocolate cream pie always helps, right?. Usually, I’m scrambling to get last minute recipes done and finish my shopping. I’m not much of a procrastinator, but I am one of those ‘find the perfect gift’ types, so I usually search and search until there’s no time left and hurriedly order something on Amazon Prime. This year, I planned ahead and ordered everything before December (hooray!), so I’m actually feeling pretty good about my week considering I’m not feeling like a basket case. We have a packed week of celebrations coming up this weekend, so I’m taking this week to post two chocolate holiday recipes and kind of chill out before the madness begins. But, if you need just one last dessert recipe for an upcoming party of celebration, I would highly recommend this easy vegan chocolate cream pie!
When I was searching around for an easy, quick vegan chocolate cream pie recipe I could have in my arsenal for holiday parties, I found that a lot of the vegan chocolate pie recipes were either a.) too time-consuming or b.) were made with tofu. Since I do have a few friends who don’t eat soy (and I don’t always have tofu on hand), I wanted to make a quick and easy vegan chocolate cream pie without tofu. Turns out, the base for my favorite peanut butter pie and the shortbread crust for my popular lemon bars are the perfect combo for an easy chocolate holiday pie. As long as you have a few hours for chilling and a can of full-fat coconut milk, you’re well on your way to vegan chocolate cream pie perfection, without tofu!
One of my biggest pieces of advice is to keep an eye on the crust! It’s not going to bake up to be perfectly golden brown, but it’s still absolutely delicious with the vegan chocolate cream filling and way easier than making a traditional pie crust. I find the sweet spot for baking is around 10 minutes, but if you want it just a bit darker go for closer to 12. Any longer and the crust will become brittle and dry, and there’s no coming back from that. the filling is super easy to whisk together in one bowl, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl, whisk in the rest of the ingredients and you are ready to chill! Really though, this is one of the easiest pies I’ve made to date and I think one of my (and my chocolate loving husband’s) favorite.
I’ll be back with one last recipe of the year on Thursday! Hope you like peppermint and cookies!Print
This easy vegan chocolate cream pie is made without tofu and is soy free! Made with coconut milk, a shortbread crust and lots of chocolate.
For the shortbread crust:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
For the filling:
To make the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a pie pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, powdered sugar, salt, and coconut oil. Press evenly into the prepared pie pan.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until crust starts to turn golden brown at the edges. Don’t overbake or it will get crumbly! Remove from oven and allow to cool while preparing the filling.
To make the filling:
- In a large bowl, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil together in the microwave. Microwave on high in 1-minute increments, until chocolate chips start to melt.
- In the same bowl with the chocolate chips, whisk in the vanilla, coconut milk, and cornstarch, whisking until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or until filling has set. Top with powdered sugar and chocolate shavings.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 289
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 7
- Fat: 20
- Carbohydrates: 22
- Protein: 2