If you couldn’t tell by now, I have a weakness for the trusty peanut butter + chocolate combo. I didn’t really realize exactly how many peanut butter and chocolate recipes I had on the blog, maybe I should add some more fruit based desserts into my life? Nah. Anyway, if you need any examples of how much I love this combo, you can see from 2 kinds of fudge, sorbet popsicles, donuts (these are the absolute best), and a giant skillet cookie. Naturally, when I was asked if I wanted to receive a copy of The Plantpower Way, I knew I had to say yes. Rich Roll himself is a pretty awesome inspiration (this guy does ultra marathons), but when I spotted a recipe for these super easy peanut butter chocolate cookies, I was totally sold.
I increased the original amount of flax seed called for, to make for a sturdier cookie, but I like that this recipe is fairly flexible in what kind of sugar you can use. I also love that I almost always have all the ingredients on hand (unless I’m out of peanut butter, but I don’t even want to think about that disaster of a day) and they are done from start to finish in 20 minutes. But, word to the wise, don’t eat 3 of these before going to a hot yoga class. It’s just not a cool time to do that, trust me. Regardless, treat yo’self this weekend and make a batch of these! I halved the recipe successfully to make a half batch too, so if you don’t want to be tempted by having a lot of extra peanut butter cookies around, you can do that too.
Have a wonderful weekend! It’s going to be 70 here tomorrow (!!),we have a tasting for our wedding food, and I have a waffle recipe in my head that I can’t wait to test out (it has veggies in it, don’t freak out!).
Reprinted from The Plantpower Way by arrangement with Avery Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2015, Rich Roll & Julie PiattPrint
These simple vegan peanut butter and chocolate cookies come together in less than 20 minutes!
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup natural-style peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cups organic sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 bar Mayan dark chocolate or high-quality organic specialty chocolate (vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a cookie sheet with the coconut oil using a paper towel.
- To make a flaxseed egg, mix the ground flaxseeds and the filtered water. Let stand for 2
- minutes and then whisk until the mixture has an egg-like texture. Add more filtered water as
- needed to get the consistency of an egg.
- In a medium bowl, mix the peanut butter and sugar, flaxseed “egg,” and vanilla with clean
- hands until well combined.
- Roll 1 1/2 tablespoons of the mixture into smooth balls and place about 1″ apart on the
- prepared baking sheet.
- Press flat using a fork, making a lined pattern on the cookies.
- Press one square of dark chocolate in the center of each cookie. Strategically place large sea
- salt crystals on top of the cookies.
- Bake, until golden around the edges, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool until they are slightly warm.
- Carefully transfer to a serving plate using a spatula.