Vegan creme brulee, with a crunchy top and creamy filling, grapefruit is a perfect summer twist on this classic dessert!
- 1 cup cashews (If you have a Vitamix, you might be able to skip this step, soaked for at least 4 hours and drained)
- 2 oz . firm tofu
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons potato starch or cornstarch
- 3/4 cup grapefruit juice (Juice from 1/2 of a large grapefruit)
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (for topping/caramelizing)
- Grease 4 ramekins or small bowls and set aside.
- In a blender of bowl of a food processor, combine the cashews, tofu. milk, sugar, cornstarch, grapefruit juice, maple syrup, and salt. Blend on high for 30 seconds to a minute, or until mixture is smooth and creamy. Transfer to a saucepan oven medium heat and whisk continuously until thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Make sure to whisk continuously, or the bottom of the mixture will burn! Pour the mixture evenly into the ramekins and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or until filling is set.
- To caramelize the tops: After the creme brulee has chilled, top each with 1-2 tablespoons of the granulated sugar and broil on high for 2-3 minutes, watching closely until the tops are a deep golden brown. Alternatively, you can use a kitchen torch to get the same affect! Serve.