These homemade Twinkies are my take on the childhood favorite. Twinkies got a vegan makeover with a perfect coconut whipped cream filling!
For the cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons room temperature coconut oil (solid)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond milk
For the coconut whipped cream:
- 1 can coconut milk (make sure to skim the solid part off and drain off the liquid coconut milk, full fat, refrigerated for at least 8 hours)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1–2 teaspoons vanilla extract
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease mini loaf pan or Twinkie pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda, set aside. In a large bowl, beat together the coconut oil, vanilla extract and granulated sugar with a hand mixer or stand mixer. Once ingredients are creamy and beaten together, add in the flour mixture, as well as the apple cider vinegar and almond milk. Beat until ingredients are smooth and combined.
- Pour the batter into each well of the pan, distributing evenly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched or knife comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake. Set aside and allow to cool before filling.
For the coconut whipped cream filling:
- In a large bowl, place the solid coconut milk that has been chilled, Make sure you are using just the solid part after the milk has been chilled (refer to the link in the notes below for a step-by-step process).
- Whip the coconut milk solid with a hand mixer or stand mixer until it becomes fluffy and airy, then add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and continue whipping until combined throughout. Store in the refrigerator until cakes are ready to be filled.
To fill the Twinkie cakes:
- Once Twinkies are cooled, Place the coconut whipped cream in a squeeze bottle fitted with a tip or a pastry bag fitted with a metal tip. Fill the cakes from the bottom, making about 5 holes which go about 1/2 through the depth of each cake.
- Store in the refrigerator, yields 6 Twinkies.
Keywords: homemade Twinkies, vegan twinkies, twinkie recipe