Homemade Nutter Butters with a sweet peanut butter filling and crisp peanut butter cookies! Vegan and can be made gluten-free.
For the cookies:
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoon solid coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 c gluten free baking flour blend
For the filling:
- 2/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup solid coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a hand mixer, beat together the peanut butter, social coconut oil, and cane sugar on medium speed until smooth. Most of the chunks of coconut oil should be gone and mixture should be combined.
- Add the baking soda, salt, vanilla extract, cornstarch, water and almond milk. Mix on low until combined.
- Add the flours and mix until just combined, until no flour streaks remain.
- Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes, to allow the dough to firm up.
- After the dough has been refrigerated, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Scoop out the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets by the tablespoon, spacing each cookie about an inch apart. Press each cookie down with the tines of a fork, smooshing them down just enough to start to spread out.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until cookies have spread and the edges are darker brown. Don’t overbake or the cookies could become crumbly! Allow cookies to cool before filling.
- To make the filling, beat together the peanut butter and coconut oil until combined. Add the powdered sugar and mix on low until combined. Use about a __ of filling between each cookie, pressing two together when filled.
- Store in the covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: homemade nutter butters, nutter butter recipe