Zucchini was the name of the game yesterday,but today I’m sharing a beyond amazing salsa that pairs perfectly with the best roasted veggie and vegan zucchini tacos I’ve ever inhaled. I won’t lie, I’ve been eating these for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, second dinner, etc. Between the perfectly spiced and crunchy veggies and the kick in the pants salsa, I could just live in this taco heaven forever and ever.
This tangy, smoky sauce was inspired y a rad taco place a few blocks away from my house. The margaritas are an excellent cap to a Friday and the tacos can range from happy hour snack to stuff your self silly dinner. But, the salsa is what really takes the taco plate. I almost immediately know when the waiter brings over the chips and salsa that we will need more chips in 10 minutes and pleaseee just bring me a bucket of this roasted salsa so I don’t have to keep asking for these silly little cups. Although this version doesn’t perfectly nail the addicting flavor, it is perfect on its own. Feel free to adjust the seasonings as you wish, but I think the jalapeno flavor gives the salsa a distinct kick.
- For the salsa:
- 3-4 jarred (about 3/4 of a jar, roasted red peppers , without juice)
- 1 cup canned (chopped tomatoes)
- 3 jalapenos
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 red onion (white would work too)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For the tacos:
- 1 zucchini (cubed)
- 2 potatoes (cubed)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (can easily do without but the veggies won’t get as crisp)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/4 teaspoons tumeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- corn tortillas (for serving)
- To prepare the salsa:
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Blend on high for 30 seconds to a minute, or until blended. Adjust seasonings to taste. Store in sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- To prepare the tacos:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, combine, zucchini, potatoes, carrots, olive oil, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, tumeric and salt. Thoroughly coat all the veggies with the spice mixture. Spread the veggie mixture in a roasting pan or cookie sheet.
- Roast for 25 minutes, or until veggies are tender and crispy.
- Before serving, heat tortillas over gas burner or hot skillet pan for 10-15 seconds per side.
- Top each taco with roasted red pepper salsa and fresh cilantro.