Homemade vanilla extract is so easy to make at home and is a budget-friendly gift idea during the holidays. Use it in cakes, cookies, brownies, and more!
- Vanilla beans
- Alcohol of choice (vodka, bourbon, and whiskey work well)
- Sealable jar or glass
- Cut the vanilla beans lengthwise and scrape out the seeds.
- Add the vanilla beans and seeds into a jar.
- Top the vanilla beans with the alcohol of your choice.
- Let the vanilla extract sit for at least a month before using.
Vodka makes for the most neutral-flavored vanilla extract. You can use this homemade vanilla extract within a week or so, but the flavor is best after it’s had time to sit for a long time (a month or more).
Keywords: homemade vanilla extract, how to make vanilla extract