Lemon cherry vegan biscotti are the PERFECT treat for dunking into coffee and tea! Crispy, chewy, and just the right amount of sweet.
How to make vegan biscotti
Word to the wise, vegan biscotti is not your average cookie! It’s more like a really crispy cookie that is basically made to be dunked into your morning coffee or afternoon tea. It’s not supposed to be rock hard (a lot of store bought biscotti are!), but have a crisp exterior with a perfectly slightly chewy interior. Light and slightly crunchy is the name of the game here!
This vegan biscotti recipe follows the usual method for cookies, whisking together wet ingredients, dry ingredients, and then mixing everything together with the mix-ins. The main difference is in the baking! You’re going to form the dough into two long logs first, bake for 20 minutes or so, and then slice into the biscotti for a second bake. The first bake helps solidify the dough and make it easy to slice. The second bake really crisps up the biscotti, making them able to retain their shape and perfect for coffee dunking!
Tips for making vegan biscotti
- This goes for most cookies, but don’t overmix your batter! This will make your vegan biscotti tough and
chewy,when you want light and crispy.
- Don’t overbake! If you overbake them too long during the second bake, they will be way too hard and will turn into those rock hard cookies that crumble everywhere…and no one wants that.
- Don’t cut corners. It’s going to be tempting to surpass the two bake method, but it’s not worth it! These really don’t have a lot of
hands ontime, so after you pop them in to bake you can go about making dinner, cleaning, pouring a glass of wine, whatever floats your boat!
- Add the mix-ins before the flour is completely stirred in. This will ensure that everything gets mixed in, without over-mixing the dough.
Previous vegan cookie recipes on Heart of a Baker:
- Caramel Stuffed Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- The BEST Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
- Vegan Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Vegan Chocolate Shortbread
Lemon cherry vegan biscotti are the PERFECT treat for dunking into coffee and tea! Crispy, chewy, and just the right amount of sweet. #
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, sugar, olive oil, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and almond milk.
- Add in the flour mixture and mix until almost combined. Stop when a few flour streaks reamain.
- Add the dried cherries and mix a few strokes until they are combined into the dough.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions. Move them to the baking sheet and form each portion of dough into a log 10 inches long. Space the logs 3 inches apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake until crisp and golden, for 25 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F and let logs cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the logs to a cutting board or piece of parchment and cut diagonally into slices 3/4 inch thick.
- Arrange the slices, cut side down, on the baking sheet spaced 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- You can swap out the dried cherries for whatever dried fruit tickles your fancy.
- The lemon zest can be swapped out for orange or lime zest.
- Biscotti can be stored in a covered container for up to a week. Best served with coffee or tea!
Keywords: biscotti, vegan dessert, vegan breakfast