The bright mandarin orange juice combined with sweet dark chocolate is the perfect mid-morning snack combination.
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed mixed with 6 tablespoons water (2 flax eggs)
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk
- Juice and zest of 3 mandarin oranges
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4–6 ounces dark chocolate (roughly chopped)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease muffin pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine maple syrup, flax seed eggs, milk, zest, orange juice, and vanilla extract. Whisk ingredients together until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture and whisk until combined. Fold in the chopped dark chocolate and poppy seeds.
- Fill muffin tins about 3/4 way up the sides (1/4-1/3 cup batter for each muffin) and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until, when touched, tops spring back.
- Store at room temperature for up to 5 days. Yields 12.
- Serving Size: 1