- 2 tablespoons warm water
- ½ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons applesauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons non dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar+1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons very hot water
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup canola oil (plus extra for additional batches)
- Powdered sugar (for sprinkling)
- Dark Chocolate Espresso Sauce:
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons non dairy milk
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water, active dry yeast, and pinch of sugar, set aside until foamy (about 5 min).
- While the yeast is setting, whisk together the applesauce, sugar, non dairy milk, and apple cider vinegar+baking soda in a small cup. Whisk together with very hot water. Add the activated yeast mixture and whisk until combined.
- Stir in the flour until combined. Cover the dough and let rest for at least an hour.
- In a deep pot, heat the canola oil over medium high heat. Meanwhile, flour your rolling space and roll out the dough to about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thickness. Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut the dough into 1-2 inch squares.
- When the oil reached 360 F, drop dough in, taking care not to crown the beignets. Make sure you stay close as they fry, the first side will cook very quickly (1-2 min), turn each beignet over when first side is cooked and ensure the other side fries as well (additional 1-2 min). Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper town lined plate.
- When all beignets are cooked, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with dark chocolate espresso sauce.
- To make the sauce: In a small, microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and non dairy milk, microwave for 45 seconds to 1 min, keeping an eye on the sauce. When chocolate is almost completely melted, remove from microwave and stir in espresso powder.