I’m sure you’ve heard by now, but the Midwest (especially Wisconsin), is going through a bitter cold snap and it is brutal. Between trying to feel my fingers from the walk from my door to the car to just wanting to hole up at home for the next 3 months and eat all the baked oatmeal, I’ve been into everything warm and cozy the past few weeks. So, when I went to make this vegan baked oatmeal, it was partly to prep for breakfasts this week and partly because I kind of like standing in front of the oven when I went to take the baked oatmeal out of the oven, it’s so warm!
I kind of played with this recipe, so it’s totally flexible and can use whatever fruit/nuts sugar you have on hand. I chose to use pears because mine were withering away in my fruit drawer, but I think apples would be perfect too. I’m just now starting to play with coconut sugar after seeing my friend Tessa use it in quite a few recipes and I have to say, I’m hooked! I love that it’s not refined and gives everything a sweet caramel-y flavor. I noticed when I took this baked oatmeal out of the oven that the parts of the top that had a little more coconut sugar sprinkled on had turned golden brown and caramel-like, YES. It was a happy accident that I think is worth repeating again and again in this vegan baked oatmeal.
Fingers crossed for Thursday’s post, I’m hoping to finally share about a trip I took back in December that was one part awesome and one part food/wine filled. Happy Tuesday!
Juicy pears and crunchy pecans come together to create a filling and easy baked oatmeal. Vegan and gluten free.
- 1 3/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 1/3 cups almond milk
- 1 pear (sliced)
- 1/2 cup pecans (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8×8 pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the rolled oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground flax seed, baking powder, and coconut sugar. In a small bowl, whisk together the vanilla extract, agave nectar, orange juice, and almond milk. Stir the almond milk mixture into the rolled oats mixture and fold in half of the pear slices and pecans. Transfer to the greased pan and top with the remaining pears and pecans and sprinkle with the 3 tablespoons coconut sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until edges are bubbly and top is golden.