- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter (see notes)
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the granulated sugar while stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula. Continue stirring frequently, until the sugar is melted and amber colored. Sugar will start to melt, turn chunky, and then melt again into a smooth sauce. Getting to this point took me about 10 minutes total.
- Once the sugar has melted, add butter and whisk in for about 2 minutes. this will ensure the butter is melted properly and the sauce comes together.
- Add coconut milk and continue to cook the caramel while whisking for another 2 minutes.
- Once thickened, remove from heat and whisk in salt. Allow to cool before storing or serving!
- My favorite vegan butter for making caramel is Miyoko’s Cultured Butter. It has less of an oily taste and more of the ‘real butter’ taste. My other favorite is Earth Balance, which is easier to find! Do not substitute coconut or olive oil here, it will not work!
- Make sure you have all your ingredients on hand and ready to add. the sauce can be really finicky and needs a close eye kept on it as you add ingredients!