These super simple healthy sugar cookies are made without oil and are the best cutout vegan cookies. The perfect vegan sugar cookies for holidays!
For the cashew cream:
For the sugar cookies:
- 1 cup granulated or cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
For the frosting:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons almond milk
- To make the cashew cream: Soak the cashews in the 4 cups of water for at least 4 hours or overnight. Drain the cashews from the water. Place the soaked cashews in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment, along with the vanilla, maple syrup or agave nectar and 1/2 cup of water. Process until smooth (this could take up to 3-5 minutes, just keep going!). You may have to stop the processor a few times in the process to scrape down the sides during the blending. Once the cashews are smooth, transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- For the sugar cookies: Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease 2 cookie sheets or line with Silpat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, salt, baking powder, and cornstarch.
- In the bowl of a stand or hand mixer, mix together the prepared cashew cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla. While the mixer is still beating on low to medium, add in the flour mixture, mixing until dough is blended throughout.
- To shape the cookies, either roll out the dough to 1/2 inch thick onto a well floured surface and cut out into desired shapes. Transfer cookies to lined baking sheets, spaced at least an inch apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, watching them closely to ensure they don’t get too crispy. They will get very lightly golden brown on the bottom.
- To frost and decorate: Make the frosting by whisking together the powdered sugar and almond milk in a small bowl. Only use just as much milk as necessary to reach a thick, spreadable frosting. Frost cookies and top with sprinkles. Allow frosting to dry before storing (see tips above).
- The cashew cream can be made up to 5 days or a week in advance. Just make the cream and store in the refrigerator until ready to make the sugar cookie dough.
- One reader reported that replacing the AP flour with a gluten-free flour blend worked well!
Keywords: simple sugar cookies, vegan sugar cookies