These simple sugar cookies are made without oil and are simply topped with sugar. The perfect vegan sugar cookies for holidays and everyday!
For the cashew cream:
For the sugar cookies:
- 1 cup granulated or cane sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- Extra sugar for sprinkling
- To make the cashew cream: Soak the cashews in the 4 cups of water for at least 4 hours or overnight. Drain the cashews from the water. Place the soaked cashews in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment, along with the vanilla, maple syrup or agave nectar and 1/2 cup of water. Process until smooth (this could take up to 3-5 minutes, just keep going!). You may have to stop the processor a few times in the process to scrape down the sides during the blending. Once the cashews are smooth, transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- For the sugar cookies: Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease 2 cookie sheets or line with Silpat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand or hand mixer, mix together 1 cup of cashew cream, granulated sugar, and powdered sugar until blended. While the mixer is still beating on low to medium, add in the vanilla, apple cider vinegar, cream of tartar, salt, and baking soda. Add in the all purpose flour, mixing until dough is blended throughout.
- To shape the cookies, either roll out the dough only a well floured surface and cut out into desired shapes or roll into 1 1/2-inch round balls. Dip or sprinkle the cookies with extra granulated sugar.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, watching them closely to ensure they don’t burn.
The cashew cream can be made up to 5 days or a week in advance. Just make the cream and store in the refrigerator until ready to make the sugar cookie dough.
Keywords: simple sugar cookies, vegan sugar cookies