I know I’ve been working the grandma angle a lot here lately, but these ladies know what they are doing in the kitchen, you know? This snack time recipe comes from my grandma on my dad’s side, who has also always had a plethora of well-loved recipes I haven’t been able to wait to dig into. This pie is inspired by her memorable Chocolate Honey Pie, which will always be one of my favorites. Today we move onto snacks, which are always essential for preventing naps in my cubicle or keep me from eating my arm off in that stretch between lunch and dinner.
If I had to choose one food/meal related thing that reminds me of my paternal grandparents, it would be cocktails and nuts. This is primarily because, as long as I can remember, happy hour has been a joyous gathering point for visits with my grandparents, whether in their home state of Arizona, or when they came to visit when I lived in Illinois. I absolutely adore this time in our visits because it signals a.) dinner is going to be served in the near future and b.) when I became of age, I got a cocktail and some time to catch up with everyone visiting. My grandparents always have a healthy stash of a variety of nuts in their freezer, but this recipe always comes out around Christmas time. Plain pecans are a-okay, but spicy, garlic-y pecans are always better. Pour me an ice cold Manhattan and just bring the whole container of these over, it’s cocktail time!
Recipes modified from my grandmother, who got it from someone named Shirley, thanks Shirley!Print
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I used Cholula)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (I found a vegan brand at Whole Foods)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 cups pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted coconut oil, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder, feel free to add a pinch of salt, if you so desire. Toss with the 2 cups of pecan halves. Spread pecans out on a rimmed baking sheet, spreading in a single layer.
- Bake for 10 min. Allow to cool and store in a sealed container at room temperature.