Hey there lads and ladies! Can you even believe that it’s almost Memorial Day? Memorial day= grilling and eating outside, my favorite!
Also, you know that the meal being grilled and the condiments are equally important. I wasn’t a mustard lover for a long time, but after easing back into the game with honey mustard, I wanted to start trying other kinds of mustard besides for the grossly bright yellow bottled stuff. But, have you seen the price of those little jars of fancy pants toppings?! Heck no, let’s make our own!
My dad started playing with making his own mustard and I decided to jump in too. The spice level of the mustard depends on how quickly you stick it in the fridge after blending up the ingredients. If you like a nose blowing, eye watering level of spice, blend and stick in the fridge right away. But, if you are like me and like a milder version, let the mustard mixture mellow for a bit before chilling. The longer the chill, the milder the mustard, who knew!
In thinking about a different way to use the homemade mustard, I wanted something beyond burgers and sausages. I love the contrast between the spice in the thin layer of mustard, the neutral flavor of the apple and the sweet of the sticky honey on this toast. Select a thick, hearty slice of bread for this toast, it needs all the support it can get with all these flavors.
I also love this swirled into hummus and dipped with pretzels.
I found my mustard seeds at Penzey’s Spices. If you are lucky enough to have one of these stores nearby, visit! The staff if awesome and helpful, not to mention the selection is outstanding. (They aren’t paying me, I just adore them!)
- For the mustard:
- 1/3 cup mustard seed
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons honey
- For the toast:
- 1 slice bread (toasted)
- 1 teaspoon homemade mustard
- 1/2 apple (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- dash of sea salt
- To make the mustard:
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth or desired consistency is reached. Blend for less time if a coarser mustard is desired. Adjust honey to taste. Place in sealed jar or container and allow to mellow at room temperature until desired heat is reached. Place in refrigerator when desired heat is reached in order to stop mellowing process.
- For the toast:
- Layer ingredients on pre-toasted bread. Finishing with the sprinkle of salt.