This homemade vegan vanilla ice cream with a peppermint hard shell makes for an easy, decadent dessert during the holidays.
For the ice cream:
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk or coconut creme
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 4 vanilla beans (scraped)
- pinch of xanthan gum (to prevent ice crystals from forming)
For the magic shell topping:
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract (more if stronger mint flavor is desired)
- For the ice cream: Whisk together all ingredients, place in bowl of pre-chilled ice cream maker and make according to manufacturer directions. Place in pan and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- For the topping: In a microwave-safe bowl, combine all ingredients. Microwave for 30-second increments until chocolate is completely melted. When serving, pour over ice cream and topping will harden.
Keywords: vegan vanilla ice cream, vegan ice cream