The best flavors of the season, apples and almonds, come together in a hearty and sweet vegan apple crisp!
- Apple Filling
- 4 large Granny Smith or Honeycrisp apples (2 pounds, peeled, cored, and diced)
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot starch
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Almond Topping
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (divided)
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil (melted, plus more for greasing)
- Preheat the oven to 350 ̊F.
- Lightly grease a medium round, oval, or rectangular 1 1/2-quart baking dish with coconut oil.
- For the Apple Filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the diced apples, maple syrup, lemon juice, arrowroot, and cinnamon. Toss to coat, and transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- For the Almond Topping
- Add 1/2 cup of the rolled oats and the raw almonds to a food processor and process for 15 seconds, or until a coarse meal forms.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and whisk in the remaining 1 cup rolled oats, cinnamon, and sea salt. Add the maple syrup and melted coconut oil and stir to combine.
- To Assemble: Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apple filling.
- Bake, uncovered, for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until the topping is deep golden brown and you can hear the liquid bubbling within the filling.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly before serving.