It took me three tries to get these brownies right. Three tries, lots of brownie baking at 10pm, and a few exclamations of ‘This is NEVER going to work!’ with a side of ‘Crap, I’m almost out of cocoa powder’. Over three days and a few late night brownie baking sessions, I finally got the recipe juuuust right, ultimately using a recipe that has worked consistently for me in the past. After finally getting out from under the too thin to too dry to brownie recipes where I forgot the salt and milk (doh!), I knew I wanted to top them with a perfect chocolate and almond frosting, nice and sweet, with a little crunch after it sets up nicely. Brownies that took all that work and tribulations deserve a healthy dose of powdered sugar and chocolate frosting, right? Reminiscent of the frosting from one of my favorite recipes from my grandmother, Texas Sheet Cake, this vegan frosting comes together with a few ingredients and a few minutes. Add a healthy sprinkle of sliced almonds and slice into thick, fudgy squares of vegan brownie goodness.
If you like your brownies a little more on the fudgy side, underbake them a little more and add a tad more liquid. I loved the way these turned out and they ended up setting up even better after they cooled. If you try to handle them too quickly after baking, they will crumble and fall apart, so you’ve been warned! Add the frosting while they are still warm and let cool, trust me, they are so much better this way.
Keep an eye out on Thursday, I’m going to have an easy vanilla ice cream recipe with one heck of a giveaway.
Easy vegan brownies with a powdered sugar and cocoa frosting, topped with crunchy almonds!
- For the brownies:
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 olive oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cupSo Delicious Almond Milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For the frosting:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons So Delicious Almond Milk
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, milk, olive oil, and vanilla extract. Set aside. In a large bowl, stir together the flours, sugars, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Whisk in the wet ingredients that were set aside and only whisk until no flour streaks can be seen.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20-23 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Prepare frosting while brownies are cooling.
- To prepare the frosting: In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients, except for the almonds. Pour the frosting over the brownies and sprinkle with the almonds. Cut and serve.