Crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside, these vegan chocolate crinkle cookies are the perfect ultra chocolaty cookie!
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup + 4 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar confectioner’s sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the 2 tablespoons ground flax seed and 4 tablespoons water. Mix together and set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- While the flax seeds are sitting, place a saucepan over medium low heat and combine the 3/4 cup chocolate chips and 3 tablespoons coconut oil. Stir regularly until the chocolate is melted, about 3-4 minutes. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn! Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of the stand mixer or using a hand mixer, beat together the flax seed + water combination, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, 1/4 cup water and melted chocolate. Add the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt until mixture is combined and smooth. Stir in the 1 cup of chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough by the tablespoon into small balls and roll in the powdered sugar. Place the cookies on the prepared sheets and press lightly down on the tops to flatten out the cookies slightly.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until cookies are firm to the touch, but don’t overbake them! If you leave them in the oven too long they will end up dry inside, so underbake before you overbake them.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 16
- Sodium: 45
- Fat: 7
- Carbohydrates: 23
- Protein: 2
Keywords: chocolate crinkle cookies, vegan crinkle cookies