A chocolate spiced version of the ultimate holiday cookie, vegan gingerbread gets a dark chocolate twist!
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (solid)
- 2 ounces dark chocolate (chopped)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- In another small, microwave safe bowl, combine the chopped dark chocolate and coconut oil. Microwave for 30 seconds -1 minute, until coconut oil is melted and mixture can easily be whisked smooth.
- In a large bowl, stir together the coconut sugar, cane sugar, and vanilla extract until combined. Add the melted chocolate and cornstarch mixture, stir until combined. Fold in the flour mixture until no streaks remain.
- Using a cookie scoop that is about a tablespoon in size, scoop out the batter onto the prepared cookie sheets, spacing cookies at least an inch and a half apart. Place 6 cookies on each sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, keeping a close eye on the edges of the cookies. As a general rule, it’s always better to underbake!
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving.