Happy Friday! We are so close to the Christmas weekend, so I’m going to keep this post short and sweet. These vegan chocolate peppermint cookies are the crowning glory on my Christmas sweets for the season. I was really crossing my fingers when I made them, hoping they would turn out on the first try. Turns out, using my BFF Sarah’s vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe as a base for these was the perfect idea. They held up, didn’t require any weird egg substitute ingredients and didn’t require chilling time. Also, take it from me and don’t press the peppermint candies into the cookies before baking, wait until after! If you press them in before they will melt all over and make kind of a red and white mess that you just don’t want to deal with.
I would recommend not baking the cookies for any more than 10 minutes. I baked one batch just a little over and they ended up being a bit dry. But, if you do overbake them, stick a piece of bread into the container with your cookies and they will soften them up in no time! Really though, the magic time for baking these vegan chocolate peppermint cookies is right at 10 minutes. They are going to seem underbaked, but they are going to be perfectly crispy and chewy once they cool down a bit. I used peppermint candies for the middle filling, but crushed candy canes would be just fine too.
These cookies were part of Rodelle’s 21 Days of Cookies campaign! While I know you know my love for Rodelle, their cocoa powder was perfection in a batch of these vegan chocolate peppermint cookies.
Hope you have the BEST Christmas and New Years! I’ll be back in the new year with some healthy recipes, sweets, and a few fun things for the new year. As always, I’m so thankful for each and every one of your readers. Without you, I would still post cookie recipes, but it wouldn’t be nearly as fun. xo
A perfect holiday cookie, vegan chocolate peppermint cookies filled with chocolate chips and a crushed peppermints!
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 12 peppermint candies (crushed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookies sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, flaxseed meal, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, olive oil, water, vanilla, and peppermint extract.
- Add the sugar mixture to the flour mixture and mix until combined, until no flour streaks remain. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the cookie batter out onto the prepared cookie sheets by the tablespoon. Bake for 10 minutes. Immediately after removing from the oven, press a teaspoon full of crushed peppermint candies into the middle of each cookie and allow to cool.
- Store in a covered container for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 137
- Sugar: 10
- Sodium: 2
- Fat: 8
- Carbohydrates: 17
- Protein: 1