Sweet apples and a crunchy cinnamon topping come together in Vegan Cinnamon Apple Muffins to make a perfect sweet breakfast!
For the flax egg:
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 3 tablespoons warm water
For the muffins:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 cup chopped apple
For the topping:
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- Mix together the ground flax seed and water and set aside. This will form your ‘flax egg’ and gel up while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line and grease a muffin tin lightly and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, flax egg,and apple cider. Whisk until combined and creamy.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture and the chopped apple until batter starts to come together and no flour streaks remain. Do not overmix, this will result in tough muffins!
- To make the topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and coconut oil together with your hands, breaking up the coconut oil until small pieces are made and it takes on a streusel texture.
- Scoop muffin batter into the tins with a 1/4 cup scoop, making sure the batter comes just about 2/3 of the way up the cups. Top each with the streusel topping (I used about 1 tablespoon per muffin). Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly touched.
Keywords: vegan apple muffins, vegan apple cinnamon muffins, vegan muffin recipe