Tart cranberries and sweet candied ginger give the perfect kick to vegan cranberry scones.
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (halved)
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed + 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 2 tablespoons candied ginger (chopped)
- For the wash:
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- Preheat the oven to 425 degress F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flax seed and 3 tbs. of water and set aside for at least 5 mins.
- Make sure your cranberries are halved. In a small bowl, toss them with the 1/2 teaspoon of granulated sugar and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Whisk in the almond milk and flax egg (flax seed and water mixture) until a dough begins to form. Gently fold in (I used my hands for this part) the candied ginger. Once they are folded in, form the dough into 7 inch square. Scatter the 1/2 cranberries over the square of dough and roll up to form a large roll. Flatten the dough into a rectangle that is 12 inches by 5 inches and scatter the remaining cranberries over the top, pressing them into the dough. Cut into 4 equal rectangles, then cut the rectangles diagonally into 2 scones for each rectangle. (8 total) Lay the scones out on the prepared baking sheet, spacing an inch or two apart.
- Whisk together the almond milk and agave nectar, then brush on top each scone before baking. Bake for 15 mintues, until tops are golden brown.