Vegan lemon cakes with a sweet coconut whipped topping and the summer’s prettiest berries!
For the lemon cake:
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2–3 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or potato starch
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
For the coconut whipped cream:
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1 cup Fresh berries (any variety)
- Before starting the cake, be sure that your can of coconut milk is in the fridge or has been refrigerated overnight. This will cause the solids to solidify and make making coconut whipped cream much easier.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond milk, apple cider vinegar, sugar, melted coconut oil, vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Whisk together until combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until combined and no flour streaks remain.
- Distribute the batter evenly between all of the muffin cups, filling the cups about half to 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until tops of the cakes spring bake with lightly touched.
- Allow to cool. While cakes are cooling, whisk together the coconut milk and agave. Place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- After cakes have cooled, top cakes with a tablespoon of coconut whipped cream each and top with berries.