A perfectly sweet and tart vegan lemon cake made with olive oil and frosted with a powdered sugar glaze. This is bound to be your new favorite dessert!
For the cake:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 4 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the powdered sugar icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1–2 tablespoons almond milk
- Don’t overmix the cake batter! This will make for a tough cake and won’t taste very good. Just mix until the flour mixure is mixed in and incorporated.
- Don’t skimp on the lemon zest and juice! This is essential to making sure that lemon flavor shines through.
- I haven’t tested this recipe with gluten-free flour, so can’t speak to if it works. If you try it, let me know!
- Only use olive oil! This was specifically tested with olive oil to let the lemon flavor shine through. Don’t use coconut oil or butter.
- To make the icing: start off with 1 tablespoon almond milk, if icing is too thick, add the second.
Keywords: lemon, lemon cake, cake recipe, lemon dessert, vegan dessert