A perfectly sweet and tart vegan lemon cake made with olive oil and frosted with a powdered sugar glaze. This is bound to be your new favorite dessert!
For the lemon cake:
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon zest and juice (I used 1 large lemon, but this would equate to 2 small lemons too)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the powdered sugar glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease an 8- or 9-inch round cake pan. Trace a parchment paper circle and line the bottom of the pan. Grease the parchment paper as well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk, olive oil, vanilla, sugar and lemon juice/zest.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Transfer the flour mixture to the bowl with the almond milk mixture and whisk until batter is combined.
- Transfer batter to the greased cake pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- While cake is cooling, prepare the glaze. Whisk together the powdered sugar and almond milk in a small bowl. After cake has fully cooled (don’t do this while it’s still warm!), pour the glaze over the top of the cake.
- Serve. Store in a covered container for up to 5 days.
Keywords: vegan lemon cake, olive oil cake