Vegan matcha scones with a sweet vanilla bean glaze! A perfect way to use matcha green tea powder in the easiest vegan scone recipe.
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed + 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 tsp Aiya matcha green tea powder
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil (solid)
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- For the frosting:
- 1 vanilla bean (scraped)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425 degress F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flax seed and 3 tbs. of water and set aside for at least 5 mins.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and matcha. Whisk in the coconut milk, flax egg (flax seed and water mixture), vanilla and lemon juice until a dough begins to form. Gently break the coconut oil into small pieces and scatter into the dough mixture, breaking them up until they are incorporated into the dough.
- On a well floured surface,flatten the dough into a rectangle that is 12 inches by 5 inches. Cut into 4 equal rectangles, then cut the rectangles diagonally into 2 scones for each rectangle. (8 total) Lay the scones out on the prepared baking sheet, spacing an inch or two apart.add wash instructions
- Bake for 15 minutes, until tops are golden brown. Drizzle with vanilla bean glaze
- To make the vanilla bean glaze: Whisk together the vanilla bean, almond milk, and powdered sugar until smooth. Use a spoon to drizzle the glaze over the scones after cooling slightly, serve immediately.