Love mint chocolate ice cream? This vegan mint chocolate chip cake has everything you love about the classic ice cream flavor, but in a decadent, chocolate cake!
For the chocolate cake:
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the mint frosting:
- 1 1/2 cups vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2- 9 inch round cake pans and line bottom with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond milk, water, olive oil, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt on low until combined. With the mixer still running on low, slowly add in the almond milk mixture and continue to mix until combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into the two cake pans. Bake for 27-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Set aside to cool before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- In a food processor or blender, pulse the chocolate chips until they are broken into small pieces. Alternatively, you can chop the chocolate chips finely, but I found the blender works better. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, beat together the vegan butter and almond milk on medium until fluffy and combined, about 2 minutes. Add the powdered sugar and mix on low until combined. Add the peppermint extract and food coloring and mix on low until incorporated. Taste and if needed, add a bit more peppermint extract or food coloring to achieve the desired color. Add the chocolate chips and mix until just incorporated.
To assemble the cake:
- On a cake stand or large plate, place the first cake layer directly on the plate. Spread about 1/2-3/4 cup of frosting onto the layer and spread evenly. Place the second layer on top and frost the entire cake (sides and top) with the remainder of the frosting. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.