This may be the BEST cashew-based vegan ice cream I’ve made yet. Not kidding, this one was a swing and a home run out of the park. Mint+Chocolate=perfection.
Vegan ice cream and I have had an uphill/tumultuous battle over the past couple of years. I wanted so badly to keep up my vegan mint chocolate chip ice cream habit when I started eating more vegan, but, the store bought ice creams are usually expensive and crazy high in fat and weird ingredients. Then I got an ice cream maker and figured I could turn any plant based milk into ice cream, right? Nope, wrong. Try taking a no-fat almond milk and turning into the creamy, smooth ice cream of pre-vegan days…it doesn’t pan out so well (picture icy, kind of crunchy just weird sorbet thing). I know coconut milk is usually the go-to for creating super creamy vegan ice cream, but I don’t always keep that stuff around and I hate heading to the store for one can of coconut milk when I just want homemade ice cream. So, my mission was clear, a vegan ice cream without coconut milk, but that still had a creamy and rich texture to fool any non-vegan. I’ve talked about my love for cashews before and I knew soaking them and pureeing them usually resulted in a creamy, dreamy texture, so why not try it in vegan mint chocolate chip ice cream?
As soon as I tried my experimental batch of this, I knew I hit the jackpot. Creamy and smooth, while still being fairly easy to make from pantry/fridge ingredients, I found my dream ice cream recipe with just a few easy ingredients and a little patience. I wanted to start with a classic vegan mint chocolate chip ice cream, but believe me, this recipe will see many variations in the warmer months to come. I kept the classic green color intact too, since mint chocolate chip just seems to taste to much better when it has a tinge of green to it, which spinach ended up being perfect for. Add as much mint flavor as you prefer, I made my batch pretty mint-y so it wouldn’t yield a plain batch of ice cream, but it’s up to you!
Ice Cream FAQS
1. Would this recipe work the same if I used store bought cashew milk?
No, I don’t think it would yield the same creamy results. Just get yourself some cashews and soak ahead of time!
This quick and easy cashew based vegan ice cream is the perfect combination of mint and chocolate chips!
- 2 cups raw cashews (not roasted cashews!, soaked for at least 4 hours and drained)
- 4 cups almond milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons peppermint extract
- 1 handful spinach (1/3 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- Before you start, make sure to chill your ice cream bowl from the ice cream maker for at least 12-24 hours. I forgot to do this the first time I tried to churn the ice cream and it just didn’t firm up right!
- In a high powered blender, blend together all of the ingredients, except for the chopped chocolate or chocolate chips. Blend the mixture until it is smooth and creamy, making sure the cashew pieces are blended thoroughly. Pour the ice cream mixture and chopped chocolate into the prepared ice cream maker and prepare according to the ice cream maker’s instructions. Mine took about 20-25 minutes to firm up and get super creamy, but it may depend on your machine. Transfer ice cream to a container and freeze for at least 2 hours, allowing the ice cream to firm up a bit more.