The BEST and easiest vegan pie crust recipe! Made with coconut oil and comes together in a snap, this will guarantee the flakiest, best pie crust for your next pie.
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons coconut oil (solid)
- 5 tablespoons ice water
- In the large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the flour, sugar, and salt on low.
- Add the coconut oil and mix on low speed until it is broken until large crumbs, the size of peas. This should take about 20 seconds
- Add the cold water a tablespoon at a time and mix on low speed. Keep adding tablespoons of water only until the dough starts to hold together and pull away from the sides of the bowl. You may use all 5 tablespoons, but you may not! It all depends on your dough.
- Transfer the dough to a countertop and form into a disc, about 6 inches across. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to roll out the dough, remove from the refrigerator and allow to stand at room temperature until it has softened, about 20 minutes. Flour a work surface liberally with flour and roll the dough out, working from the center outwards until it is about 1/8 inch thick. If the dough keeps sticking, continue to dust with flour until it is rolled out.
- Transfer the pie dough to your pie plate, centering it and pressing into the plate. Trim the edges so they are even with the edge of the pie plate and form a fluted edge, if desired.
- Freeze the crust for at least 30 minutes before baking. Depending on your recipe, prebake partially or fully.
Keywords: vegan pie crust